Saturday, September 22, 2007

Off to Manali

Once again, I find myself in this same situation. I pick a place, any place; usually I open my Lonely Planet and pick somewhere within the place of five seconds. I book a bus ticket. I arrive: not knowing anything about the destination - people, activities, streets: all remain an enigma. But then, as so often has been the case during my travels, you meet someone. You find an awesome restaurant that serves a great local specialty. You stumble across something unexpected - Hindi monks praying, a beautiful sunset, a bunch of locals who follow you around in the hope of winning over your friendship. Or is it money? In an uncanny, almost supernatural way - everything ultimately works out; and the result is that you are filled with a great sense of confidence about the unknown. Life isn't that scary anymore. I hope that this confidence will translate into the real world back home. But travel life and home are two different realities, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, off to Manila. I wonder where it is.

Eddie

1 comment:

AK47 said...

Found any filthy Indiana/ Philippinas yet?

A